How to Invest in Gender Equality: New Resources from 7 Leading Impact Investment Firms in Asia-Pacific
Achieving full gender equality in the workforce could boost global annual GDP by $28 trillion, but currently, less than 1% of $715B global impact investing goes to reducing gender inequality. The Frontier Brokers Network launches a new website with easy-to-digest multi-media tools to help everyday investors ensure their financial capital is going towards closing the gender gap.
Frontier Brokers is a network of 7 impact investment firms who have adopted a gender lens in their projects, looking to measurably address gender inequality — in capital markets, their own investment processes and in local contexts where social enterprises operate. They are sharing their resources, learnings and tools on their website at How to Invest in Gender Equality (https://scalingfrontierinnovation.org/how-to-invest-in-gender-equality/).
Some highlighted resources include:
- “Investing in Gender Equality” [Podcast] — A six-part series focusing on entrepreneurs from Asia-Pacific, each with a fascinating story to tell on the impact of gender lens investing on their business. As we learn how these inspiring entrepreneurs have overcome gender barriers, gender lens expert Dr Jodi York will talk through how individuals can contribute to gender equality in their life, work and investments.
- “An Animated Introduction to Gender Lens Investing” [Video] — Steps investors can take to incorporate a gender lens into their investments to increase gender equity in value chains and make a difference in the lives of women entrepreneurs.
- “Operationalising Gender Lens Investing in Asia: Insights from Frontier Brokers” [Report] — Key takeaways for funders, brokers, and others in the investment community who are interested in pursuing gender lens investing.
- “The Value of Gender Lens Investing: Lessons Learnt Across the Entrepreneurial Ecosystem” [Video] — Interviews from key players across the entrepreneurial ecosystem, sharing their perspectives, experiences, and lessons learnt with a focus on the value of gender lens investing.
- “Gender Lens Investing. What. Why. How.” [Video] — See how some of the world’s leading Gender Lens Investing practitioners (IIX, Brightlight, Athena, Good Return) put gender equality into action by placing it at the forefront of their business.
“One of the things that we know is that for women-led companies, investors often think they don’t take enough risks. That may be true. They also don’t fail as profoundly. They also don’t take on as much capital. So importantly — the impact you get for the capital you invest is generally better. They tend to be much more solid performers, and they are very rarely caught up in the really profound business failures that end up on the front page.” — Dr Jodi York, a commentator on the podcast series
These tools are meant for all genders of retail and institutional investors, social entrepreneurs, and people working in the financial service sector globally. Anyone investing capital with a gender lens plays a significant role in ending gender inequality and strengthening the global economy for all.
Frontier Brokers Network is supported by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and impact is measured by Moonshot Global LLC and Living Collaborations. Members include: Athena Global, BIDUK, Brightlight Group, Impact Investment Exchange (IIX), Investing for Good CIC, Palladium, University of Melbourne, and Good Return as the convener.
Individual resources/stories can be highlighted or the entire resource bank.
Find out more about Frontier Brokers Network Member Organisations:
- Frontier Brokers Network: https://scalingfrontierinnovation.org/initiatives/brokers/
- Athena Global: https://athenaglobalalliance.com/
- Brightlight: https://www.brightlightimpact.com/
- Good Return (Network convener): https://www.goodreturn.org.au/
- Impact Investment Exchange (IIX): https://iixglobal.com/
- Investing For Good: https://www.investingforgood.co.uk/
- Palladium: https://thepalladiumgroup.com/about
- The University of Melbourne: https://www.unimelb.edu.au/
- Moonshot Global: https://moonshotglobal.com/
- Living Collaboration: https://www.livingcollaborations.com/
- Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade: https://www.dfat.gov.au/development/australias-development-program
More information on the Frontier Brokers Network can be found on our website: https://www.scalingfrontierinnovation.org/initiatives/brokers/
Or follow us on LinkedIn at: https://www.linkedin.com/company/frontier-brokers-network/